Search This Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Winter Blues Begin

Winter is by far my all time favourite season.  Why?  Because I love the severity of it.  Survival during the harshest of seasons.  Large bundles or cords of wood for the stove, canned and preserved food stocked up, and lots of warm clothes.

I love how Earth goes to sleep for a few months into hibernation.  I also love autumn and watching animals stocking up themselves and preparing for the long cold winter ahead.

One of the most beautiful sights to me is a fresh layer of snow on the trees, hanging off the evergreens and covering up the muck in town.  Sand, salt, dog poop (I had to say it!) and litter.  We have some EnviroMelt here at the Green-Up Store if you're interested.

This is my second winter in the city and I just pine for a nice falling of snow as often as possible.  I want it to cover up the waste that people throw to the ground, and the waste that owners don't pick up after their pets.  I can say that I have mixed feelings for spring.  I love it when I'm out in the country, but I dislike it when I'm in the city and the melt bears it all!

Complaints of the cold weather and snow have started and it isn't even the first day of Winter Solstice yet.

If you get the winter blues, I encourage you to get outside and do some winter activities that aren't shovelling the driveway, or being miserable in the cold.  Dress warmly and get a pair of skis, snowshoes, or a good pair of winter boots.  Go for a nice walk on one of the many nice trails in Peterborough.

Get out of town and go for a walk.  Look at all of the wildlife action happening.  My favourite place to walk during the winter is at the Petroglyphs Provincial Park just North of Stoney Lake.  I love looking at the deer and wolf tracks and all other animal tracks, listening to the birds singing, and loving the warm low winter sun.





No comments:

Post a Comment